Thursday, September 2, 2010

Week 8 - 9 Animation Mentor - Basic Foundation

Hello Fellow Animators and Bloggers!

OK so with this post I thought I would combine the two weeks together, as the first week we just blocked out our walk cycle, and then on the second week we polished it up. The biggest lesson I took from this exercise was the importance of blocking and getting that right, before doing anything else. I learnt that if you have your blocking solid, and perfect (as much as you can), the polishing is pretty much straight forward, and all the inbetweens are just things you play around with and clean up around the blocked key poses, I have definitely found in some poses I could improve on it, but realised that's its too late at the refining stage of the animation.

The second thing I learnt, was the use of tangent curves, this was some that wasn't really taught to me when I did my 3D generalist Diploma, and I think its a must! What I was taught was to animation with splines all the time and to block animations, was to key things into place. Now I know that's not the best approach, as you end up with keys in places you don't know, and result in confusion.

So moral of the story is Block! Block! Block! Get the blocking to near perfect and then the rest of the ride is smooth. So our next exercise is personality walks! I think this one is going to be interesting.






No comments:

Post a Comment